Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Left Behind" Folks - see, you got it backwards!

More Scripture showing that the left behind crowd and rapture lookers got it backwards.

Matthew 13:30 - the parable of the weeds in the field, speaking to the weeds (the sons of the evil one) amidst the wheat (the children of the Kingdom). They are all left together... well, let's look at Scripture.

"Let them both grow together until the harvest, and at the harvest time I will tell the reapers, 'Gather the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burn, but gather the wheat into my barn.'"

So, let's see - what happens first - ah, yes, the wicked are seized and thrown into the fires - and then the Church, which remains, parties. No secret midnight harvest to pull the wheat out. No massive huge steps or things like that.

Matthew is quite consistent on this point - the wicked get taken away first... because that's how it works. When you come upon a bank robber, the cops don't bust in, leave the robber there, pull everyone else out and then say, "Oh robber, you're going to get it now." They go in, arrest, drag him out - and then the rejoicing.

Now, this is by no means the point of this text in Matthew -- but sheesh guys, instead of reading fiction or trying to turn grasshoppers into helicopters. . . just try paying attention to the Word.

5 comments:

George said...

Then two men will be in the field; one will be taken and one left. Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be taken and one left. (Matthew 24:40-41)

The irony is, as you hinted, that the "one taken" is taken for judgment! The context shows this as the story of the flood (verses 37-39) is the paradigm for these short parables. Also the word "taken" is not so much an ascension or rapture word as a "taken into captivity" word.

Mike Baker said...

Now hang on a second! You two aren't using things like the gramatical method of textual analysis and plane ole facts to spoil people's imaginary myths are you?!?

After all, those erring teachers work so hard on their rediculous theories... and they mean well. :P

The rapture filled me with so much dread as a child that it made my life miserable. Even today I can recall moments as a young kid where I couldn't find my parents and was wracked with horror and guilt at the thought that they might be raptured and I had been "left behind".

What a load of... skubalon.

Robin said...

Mike, that makes me laugh or cry depending on the day. I too remember being in my house and I couldn't find my Dad; and my Mom wasn't at home. I panicked!!! I ran through the house screaming for him and then went outside crying. Finally, he rounded the corner and asked me what was wrong? I had to lie because I didn't want my parents to think that I didn't think that I was saved and being raptured with the rest. Of course the best was when I told my mom at ten that I wanted to go to college and she said well, don't plan ahead because the rapture is going to happen soon. AAGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I totally freaked out. Oh yeah, I am thirty now. Mom was a little off...

Dan at Necessary Roughness said...

Congrats on IE Blog of the Week!

Mike Baker said...

Robin,

Our experiences regarding the Rapture are not unique. It is a very common issue that amounts to a horrible burden that the modern American church is placing on their children.

...and the "Left Behind" teaching is not the only teaching where you find this. Anywhere you find false doctrine that comingles Law and Gospel, you will find stories of sinners who have been unneccesarily vexed by well-meaning (but still torturous) error.