Friday, August 5, 2011

What I want

I have come to a conclusion. I want stupid things.

Seriously. Often the simple things that I want are foolish (yeah, that indoor golf simulator, I'll get my money's worth out of that). Or they are totally unrealistic (reasonable political debate and discussion). Or they flip and flirt and are temporary (the grown-up versions of "I want a pony").

So what happens? I bound around, chasing after folly, and even then jump and switch to another and new folly. A life that is spent constantly striving, constantly restlessly struggling for this and that.

What an utter contrast this is to actual peace. What I need is provided for by God - both in this life, and in the life of the world to come. Indeed, I have far more than I need, and wondrous blessings of depth and subtlety that I would always delight in if only I stopped flitting around enough to ponder them.

God grant me grace and wisdom to simply pause and enjoy rather than the constant running rat race of no pleasure.

5 comments:

Mike Baker said...

Doesn't it seem like our consciences use the faintest hint of a voice when whispering "I have enough"? We can muster incredible levels of passion for what we see as good. We can muster great indignation against what we see as bad.

But we can barely even notice when something is more than plenty.

Lord help us all.

Anonymous said...

I think you're absolutly right. So I'll be glad to take that stupid golf simulator off of your hands. It's just taking up space.

Tryin to help a brutha,

Tom Fast

Rev. Eric J Brown said...

I haven't got it yet =o)

Mike Baker said...

lol... "yet"

Rev. Eric J Brown said...

... maybe Santa will be nice to me one of these years... even one of the small $350 ones... maybe... maybe..