Thursday, November 17, 2011

Shoddy But Humorous Theology #1

Shoddy But Humorous Theology #1

It has been noted that today there is a lack of respect and appreciation for children, and that this has unleashed all sorts of ills upon our society. Too often people disdain God's gift of children, much to our detriment. I will agree.

However, I would assert that this is really caused by a greater and more wicked evil... the fact that all too often children disdain God's gift of sleep. I write this as the father of a 3 and a half week old. He clearly despises God's gift of sleep, both for himself and for his parents.

Frankly, if our infants cherished the gift of sleep and sought it diligently, especially when it is dark outside, it would be much more clear what a blessing they are.

As a note - this shows the Justice in God punishing the sin of the fathers to the 3rd and 4th generation. Why? Because the reason the father sinned in the first place was probably because his son kept him up all night, and if it weren't for the lack of sleep he might have better resisted that sin.

This concludes today's episode of Shoddy but humorous theology.

1 comment:

scott said...

I think you're on to something there. Before our second came, I was thinking, "I've done this before. No big deal. I know what to expect." and on and on in this vein.

Then came the child. And let me tell you, no matter how much experience you've had with children before, lack of sleep is still lack of sleep. There's no way around it, not even experience.