Friday, June 28, 2013

Officer Training

I will admit it.  I like some military sci-fi.  I've not read the entirety of the genre, but the Honor Harrington books are really good.  I'd also imagine Horatio Hornblower style books would be good to read too -- I need to pick them up.

And pastors should read books like these.  Why?

Because we are officers.

Consider how an officer, a captain is supposed to act.  In the face of danger or trouble -- calm.  State what needs to be done and do it.  No panic, no hand-wringing.  Calm, cool, and collected.

As Pastors, we should remember that.  We encounter many things in this world that are wrong, messed up, bizarre, or strange.  But we are to be officers, leaders of men.

Panic does not become us.  Nor does bemoaning what is to come.  We know the battle is hard -- which is why we sing hard songs.  "And take they our life, goods, fame, child or wife, those these all be gone, they yet have nothing won, the Kingdom ours remaineth."

No comments: