Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Law isn't Pretty

I am a sinner.  Every moment.  Every day.  This is simple fact.

That means the Law isn't pretty.  It never is.  Because I am a sinner, and the Law will condemn me.  Every time.

This thought struck me this past Tuesday when listening to a Gerhard meditation upon the Holy Cross.  It was so visceral... and tied to me.  These wounds the Lord suffers - they are mine, they are what I deserve, what I by rights should have.

If you want to know what the Law looks like when it is unleashed upon a sinner, behold what the Law does to the One who took up upon Himself the sins of the world.  And died.

I need Christ the Crucified.  I need Christ Crucified for me.  And when I hear law, I need to hear real law.  Not some watered down "you-can-do-it" fake law.  I need the real law that drives me to Christ who suffered under that law in my place.  I need to be show my Savior, who fulfilled the Law in my place.

Don't try to make the Law pretty or palatable to me.  Let it be law... full, hard, strong law.  And then let the Gospel bring relief.

1 comment:

Steve Martin said...

That's it.

The true, hard Law.

And the true, pure sweet gospel.

Thanks, Rev..