Thursday, June 5, 2008

Religious Angst

One of the things that continually astounds me is the amount of religious angst that will float around (the exception to this is, of course, when I am getting all angst-ridden over something myself). Just watch and listen to what you see - how many things do people get worked up over and concerned with in terms of religion. Minutia get built up into mount Rushmores of theology (how dare you say that!), worries over numbers spur on idiocy (and everyone who didn't say how dare you say that before now say that), and over and over, we wring our hands and think "what are we to do?"

If there is one thing that I could wish for, it would be that I would know and live in the 3rd Article of the Creed - that I would remember that it's not my reason or strength that is vital - not my worries or concerns or brilliant plans - but the Holy Spirit works through the Gospel.

And that's it. It's as simple as that. The Holy Spirit works through the Gospel. God puts people to work in proclaiming the distributing the Gospel. As simple as that.

And yet, so often in the Church we become drama queens, almost freaking out as much as junior high students might over who's dating who. Why? Because sinful human beings hate the 3rd article of the Creed over all things. If only, if only we could get this. Oh, yeah, we will. Gads - sometimes this world is a tiring place!

No comments: