Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Litugical Bum

So, I have tried to establish a daily Matins service here. . . and it never caught on with anyone (other than when Jay Hobson would be here studying with me over the summer, then it would be he and I) - so after 3 years of a published set time - Matins has become the daily devotion I do when I get in.

Since the advent of the Treasury of Daily Prayer, I have ended up moving into my office for this devotional time. I'll sing everything through to the readings (including the given Psalm) - and then close with prayer. . . omitting the rest of the service (the Venite works well as a solo, the Te Deum. . . not so much. . . and I'd butcher Matins' Benedictus).

But I realized that I am a bit of a liturgical bum since I got the treasury. It has nice, easy access to all the seasonal antiphons and the like. . . but I just sick with the common. I know how to sing it, I like it. Same thing if I want some variation and go to Morning Prayer. . . which happens around 2 or 3 times a year. . . maybe. . . if I want to sing the Benedictus because I know that one.

I'm not quite sure what to make of all this - there probably is no point. But, what of y'all - seasonal antiphons - are they are part of your usage of the daily offices - daily or if used on Sunday?

No comments: