Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Call and Request for Decency on Religious Blogs

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am aware that many of you hold to your convictions with great sincerity and zeal. Even if I disagree with you, I applaud you. However, if you want to go and get into a theological argument, please stick to discussions along denominational lines (unless the post is clearly wanting a cross denominational discussion/rumble). Seriously, Lutherans, don't just walk up to a Roman Catholic blog and yell, "The Office of the Papacy is the Antichrist - oh, you got PWNED!" It's rude and foolish. Conversely, please my Roman Catholic friends, it's rude and foolish to jump in randomly and just start trashing Lutheranism on a Lutheran website. Likewise the East - same thing. Likewise Methodists (I have no idea if Methodists even read blogs, but you too as well), Presbyterians, Lions, Tigers, and Bears. . . unless the blog is seeking to explain or illuminate differences in thought - don't snipe. Don't take pot shots.

Feel free to ask for clarification, as a polite guest would (I thank those who have answered my questions about how they would approach an issue) - but show some decent decorum. Yes, we have different beliefs and traditions - show some courtesy.

So, let it be noted -- this is not to go on here. Also, Lutherans, if I am on a blog and I see you behaving poorly in this regard, I will join in on the mockery and lambasting of you until you cease your own boorish behavior. It is unbecoming and just makes Lutherans look like schmucks, which I am not generally in favor of.

If you comment on a blog, you are a guest - at least be somewhat polite in how you post. Sheesh!

3 comments:

William Weedon said...

A heart-felt Amen from one who has suffered similar rudeness...

Anonymous said...

I don't get it. It's a public blog and you have the power to block comments. Why are you so upset?

Rev. Eric J Brown said...

I can block - but it's the principal of the thing. If I go visit your house, you can tell me, "Hey, take your feet off the couch" -but you shouldn't have to.

Moreover . . . I can tend things here. . . but please, all you Lutherans, don't put your muddy feet on other people's couches.