Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Lutherans in the Hands of an Angry Pastor

So, I am doing prep for my History Study, and we are going to go over the 1st Great Awakening. Hence, I'm writing on Jonathan Edwards - going to quote a bit from "Sinners in the hands of an Angry God." It will be fun.

However, I saw (I admit it, on Wikipedia) this rather telling and accurate summation of Edwards.

""Edwards could take for granted...that a New England audience knew well the Gospel remedy. The problem was getting them to seek it." - by George Mardsen.

Is that what you assume, oh Lutheran? Or is it a matter of the fact that in our sinfulness our eyes are already curved in on themselves and need to be focused upon Christ and the Gospel?

Just something to think about. The Americanization of Lutheranism is a frightening thing.

No comments: