Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What Is and What Should Never Be

I understand a desire for order. I understand why people would want to revamp systems and organizations - be this civil reform or even reform in the Church. There are many things in the LCMS where we are sloppy, where our terminology isn't clean and precise, where our practice isn't clean and precise, where we do not act in accordance with one another. I understand the desire to clean this up.

I have my own things that I would love to see. I would love to see the establishment of a delineated three-fold office of Bishop, Priest/Presbyter, and Deacon (I'd argue that this is what we have with our Pastor - Assistant Pastor - Vicar(/Elder?) set up already, but I'd love to see it spelled out clearly). I'd prefer more liturgical order within the Church - much more of a "say the black, do the red" approach -- even if this curtails me. I like order, really I do - even as I argue for freedom until I'm blue in the face.

Here is the reason why I argue until I am blue in the face - just because something is messy doesn't mean that it is wrong. Just because something isn't how they did it 500 years ago means it violates the confessions (otherwise, all of us in America are up a creek without a paddle as I don't think the Confessions say anything about a Church independent of the state). Just because something is not traditional does not mean it is wrong.

Can it be foolish and messy without being wrong? Yes. Can it be foolish and messy and be wrong? Yes. But many times there is a distinction between the mess that we see and what should never be allowed. And sometimes in our zeal for order, we can confuse the two.

1 comment:

Rev. Paul A. Rydecki said...

"Can it be foolish and messy without being wrong? Yes. Can it be foolish and messy and be wrong? Yes."

If we could all just concede this one statement of yours, we might just begin the path to recovery. Brilliant.