Tuesday, April 12, 2011

General Theological Observation and Lament

I get very nervous when a person, in either preaching or lecturing:

1. Tells a story about himself that goes over 3 minutes in length.
2. Tells a story that is supposed to tie into a theme that is over 2 minutes long.
3. Speaks more than 5 minutes without mentioning Jesus.

Now, I know if you are answering specific questions on specific topics... but just in general... I don't want stories and I don't want insights into the text that don't point me directly and quickly to Christ.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Last weekend I was traveling and attended a church where the sermon mentioned Jesus *once* (I think; it is possible there was a second mention) in a 15 - 20 minute long sermon. And not in a way that pointed the listener to the cross. It did mention resurrection. Except it was the "resurrection from the death of pride" rather than, you know, the *actual* resurrection.

The sad part? It was an LCMS church. In theory anyway.

Rev. Eric J Brown said...

Yeah... It wasn't like I was inspired to write this after hitting a district conference or anything.

Law, law, law.