Thursday, January 19, 2012

All Is Vapor

So, I just saw that I had made my 1,100th post. This is 1101. That's quite a few times where I have sat down in front of a computer and put some thoughts here.

You know what - even though they are out there on the internet, even though they are "there"... meh.

I mean, really - sometimes folks might find an old blog post (normally one on some controversial subject)... but the vast, vast majority of these posts just fade away and are forgotten.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity. Or, I tend to like vapor of vapors, all is vapor. Things in this life fade away... the post that got blog of the week is old hat in a month and no longer remembered within 6.

On the one hand, this is something that teaches humility -- all the effort we think we put into things, all the angst of this or that project -- and most of them don't last. Vanity of vanity, vapor of vapors. Let us abandon that sense of pride, that ego that makes one think that ones own actions are the hinge of the world.

But on the other hand, I love the temporary nature of things... not because things fade, but because how God always gives the new. There are several blogs I love... and while I might not remember what I read there 4 months ago... God provides more and new things to learn... always, over and over. There's something new and new again.

Ah well... thus is life in this fallen place -- things fall apart and are ground into dust and all the while there is God restoring and granting things anew. To dust I shall return - but God is going to put that dust back together, and much better. Little reminders of that all the time.

No comments: