Saturday, March 31, 2012

Naming a Child for somber reasons

My son is named Victor. It's a good name. And I will note something, a somber thought I have about naming my child. It's a good name, and one that would be a comfort to me should I ever have to bury him.

My friend Anna died a few years ago... actually, her name was Anastasia. Anastasia is the Greek word for resurrection. What a wonderful name... and a wonderful thing to remember whenever my thoughts drift her way.

Rev. Donavon Riley put on his blog a letter which is somewhat "infamous" among some Lutherans as it contains the whole "sin boldly" line of thought which is both abused and then wantonly rejected due to its abuse. But in the paragraph after that, there is another, similar line which is wonderful.

"Be a sinner, and let your sins be strong, but let your trust in Christ be stronger, and rejoice in Christ who is the victor over sin, death, and the world."

Should the day come that I must bury my son, should that sin be strongly smacking me in the face... God grant that I rejoice in Christ who is the true Victor, the Victor over sin and death for my son's sake.

Of course, this is also why the very first time I spoke his name to him outside of the womb was when he was baptized into Christ so that he would have this victory.

And if it comes that he must bury me -- remind him that the name "Eric" simply means powerful, and that Christ Jesus is much more powerful than sin and death.

No comments: