Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Thought from Sleep

So, I woke up at 3 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep.  Even though my body is tired... couldn't do it.  And checking facebook at that time I saw friends who couldn't sleep, or lamented how they didn't want to have to take the sleep aid.  While I normally can sleep well, I'm used to waking up in the middle of the night - I have a 7 month old son, and while he sleeps through the night, he often wiggles out from under the covers and gets cold.  And as for my wife - well, she works 3 12 hour night shifts a week, so her sleep schedule is all over the place.

Sleep is a natural thing.  It's something we do often.  Almost a third of our life we are asleep.  And yet - how often do we just flat out mess it up.  I can't sleep.  Oh, I fell asleep when I wanted to be awake.  Even in this, the most natural of functions, indeed, about the most natural of functions -- we are all over the place.

The impacts of sin are wide and pervase.  They spread to all things.  And the next time you think you have your body under control, that you have learned all the discipline of your flesh that you need... well, ponder your ego in the middle of the night and repent.   

No comments: