Friday, March 1, 2013

Self-Denial as Cure to Legalism and Antinomianism

In the Lutheran internet there has been another round of anti-legalism and anti-antinomianism blog posts, all with their stern warnings and such.  And it has gotten me thinking.  So often these calls end up leaving a sour taste in my mouth... and I think I have figured out why.

The other day I read this interesting Roman Catholic evaluation of Luther, and in particular I was struck by this quote: "From this shift of 1518, the pen­i­ten­tial life con­tin­ues to unfold in daily self-denial, but Luther has it firmly anchored in God’s gra­cious word which applies Christ’s sav­ing grace in moments of clear, unam­bigu­ous com­mu­ni­ca­tion."

Now, the key phrase in there for me is "self-denial".

I think this is spot on in terms of evaluating Luther (although not quite full).  Luther was completely and totally about self-denial, about self-control and discipline, about the "penitential life" -- not as a way of earning merit or favor with God, but with the life we lead not only to keep ourselves away from sin but also in order that we can provide for our neighbor.  Our self-denial becomes neighbor-provender, where God uses us to provide His gifts to our neighbors.

I wonder if this idea of "self-denial" for the sake of the neighbor might not be a good angle to evaluate the calls and cries of legalism and antinomianism... both that others make and that we ourselves make.

You call someone a legalist... so, where is your self-denial?  Are you fighting against your own will, your own wants and desires... or do you call someone a legalist because they say that something you are doing is wrong?

You call someone an antinomian... so, where is your self-denial?  Are you fighting against your own will, your own wants and desires... or do you call someone an antinomian because they ignore your self-chosen means of piety and disdain your advice?

Now, granted, this isn't a perfect measure - but it does focus us back onto our own repentance, our own sin... and legalism and antinomianism (and the calls there about) rarely deal with one's own sin.

My own sin is great.  I see it.  I struggle against it daily.  Thanks be to God that for me fights the Valiant One whom God Himself elected - Jesus Christ it is, of Sabbaoth Lord, and there's none other God - and He indeed holds the field forever.

No comments: