Sunday, October 31, 2010

My Soundtrack - Be Scared

IF YOUR LIFE WAS A MOVIE, WHAT WOULD THE SOUNDTRACK BE?

Here’s how it works:

1. Open your library (iTunes, Media Player, iPod, etc)
2. Put it on shuffle
3. Press play
4. For every question, type the song that’s playing
5. When you go to a new question, press the next button
6. Don’t lie and try to pretend you’re cool…
7. Include commentary

OPENING CREDITS: Black Velvet - Alannah Myles. This song is just a wonderful, sultry ditty. Interestingly enough, it came out in the late 80s, right around the time the band Texas formed (in Scotland). Sharleen Spitari, whom I love as a musician, could very easily have sung this.

WAKING UP: "Head Over Feet" - Alannis Morissette. For the first year of its release, this was my favorite song off of Jagged Little Pill, as it is the ultimate girl falls for best friend sort of song. Then it was released, the 8th single. . . and it bummed me out. At the time I was going through a very big kick of thinking that the unreleased tracks separate true fans from the proles -- and my favorite unreleased was suddenly no more (now the best unreleased track is "Forgiven"). How's this for a great line - "You are bearer of unconditional things/ you held your breath and the door for me"

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL: "We're Going to Be Friends" - The White Stripes. Okay, this actually works really, really well for the first day of school. Teacher marks our hides against the wall.

FALLING IN LOVE: "We Didn't Start The Fire" - Billy Joel. As a Historian, I love this song. Learn it, and you know the history of the US and the world from 1951 through the 70s.

FIGHT SONG: "Here in Your Bedroom" - Goldfinger. Fantastic song from the 90s, great video, a little bit of ska feel in the rhythm section with strong punk overtones on the guitar and in the refrain. When I wake up tomorrow, will you still feel the same?

BREAKING UP: "I Feel For You" - Prince. No, not Chaka Khan. This is a Prince song... and this is his version. Prince also wrote Manic Monday, Nothing Compares to U, Stand Back (by Stevie Nicks), and of course, tons of stuff by the Time.

PROM: "Strong" - Robbie Williams. I admit it, I like Robbie Williams. Good, boisterous vocals. "And early morning when I wake up/ I look like KISS but without the make up/ that's a good line, I'll have to take it to the Bridge".

LIFE’S OK: "Get Him Back" - Fiona Apple. One of the most powerful performers of my generation. I don't think I know of a person who puts more of herself and her vulnerability into her music. This is off of Extraordinary Machine - go get some. I'd recommend "When the Pawn...."

MENTAL BREAKDOWN: "I Don't Want to Know" - The Donnas. Great song about a gal stalker. I have a fondness for the Donnas, as they are from Palo Alto and formed in the middle school that was two blocks from where I lived. This is off of "Gold Medal" where they did more of a 70's Arena Rock sound rather than punk. Great stuff. "I watched you through the window last night/ and I thought I saw a girl in the candle light/You think that's fair after all I've done/restraining orders one by one/ and I sure hope that was your sister"

DRIVING: "Rock the Casbah" - The Clash. This song is why I am occassionally tempted to yell out "This is not kosher" at the top of my lungs.

FLASHBACK: "Raspberry Beret" - Prince. Okay, so I really like Prince. This is a great time, and admit it, you hear it and you are tempted to walk in through the out door.

GETTING BACK TOGETHER: "Secret Agent Man" - Wendy and Lisa. Wendy and Lisa were the two girls in The Revolution, Prince's Band from Purple Reign. They formed their own band in the late 80s, and this is their cover of Secret Agent Man. I like them lots - they did a song called "Always in My Dreams" - fantastic song.

WEDDING: "Helpless" - Buckcherry. I really liked the early Buckcherry albums, but I haven't followed nearly as much since they got back together. This is off of their second - a good power ballad. "I don't want to live my life today I'm all out of love and I'm tired of changing/ I hope you can help pass the time away"

BIRTH OF CHILD: "Love Walks In" - Van Halen. Okay, so I actually like Van Haggar, partially because I accept that they are something quite different from Van Halen. Less showy, more romantic. "And there she stands in her silken gown/ a sea of light shining down" - fantastic line.

FINAL BATTLE: "Make a Move" - Lostprophets. Good album, underrated album. Interesting music. Wake up.

DEATH SCENE: "Dressed for Success" - Roxette. Okay, I could try to make this something Baptismal... great song, love the fact that "the Look" is on Rock Band 3. I'd love it if they put all of Look Sharp on there, or at least a big Roxette pack. Favorite band for most of my high school days. "And in the dark things happen faster"

FUNERAL SONG: "Forgive Me" - Patti Rothberg. If you do not have the album "Between the 1 and the 9", do yourself a favor and go pick it up. Just a great album. "Well I held you in my thoughts/ and I held you in my dreams/ well maybe I was holding on too tight"

END CREDITS: "New" - No Doubt. I am a No Doubt heretic. I think Return of Saturn was their best album. I think Gwen Stefani looked really good with pink hair. And I like the edge of this song, the sorrow of the album. "Oh you're not old, and you're not familiar"

No comments: